Google+ Followers

Thursday, September 20, 2012


Chabon, Michael (2002)  Summerland. 

New York:  Miramax.  (Adolescent literature -- maybe 5th grade through high school and beyond -- I'm 45 and I loved it -- especially good for language arts/English and Phys Ed))

This was an amazing and wonderful book.  No seriously, I mean stylistically it is magnificiant -- every single sentence is well-written.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  So what is it about?

This is one of those books that is going to sound dumb as soon as I start to summarize the plot, so if you are smart (and trusting) you will just go and get the book and read it and not let me ruin it for you with my summary.

Still here?  Okay then.  The story concerns Ethan, who is the worst player in the little league of Clam Island, Washington.  He is the sort of outfielder that I was in midle school -- looking at the clover and the sky and the bee buzzing by and never at the ball.  He is so bad at hitting he usually just stands there and doesn't swing and hopes he will get a walk. 

Whoo boy, here is where it gets kind of weird.  So Ethan ends up being scouted by strange fox-like beings who need him to save their dimension from this evil Loki-like creature who is trying to stop crossings between dimensions.  Along with his friends Jennifer T.(who is an amazing pitcher)  and Thor Wingnut (who thinks he is an android), Ethan leaves our world on a quest to stop the evil guy from poisoning the well in the center of the universe.  Sounds weird, I know, but the story moves and somehow it is beleivable enough that you care for the caharacters and the narrator is kind of fun and it has a very satisfying and excellent ending.  

Look, just go buy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment